CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Watch What You Say and Do



Emily is at the stage in her toddler development where she can pick up on phrases and remember how to use them in the right context.  I was aware that she started to pick on words and repeat them but only recently surprised when she used a phrase she had heard earlier on in the day and used it later that afternoon and in the right terms.  What this all means is we have to really watch what we say around her which is difficult at times.  Last week I heard her call her sister "stinky butt Avery" and wondered where in the world she had learned that term.  Well later that evening while changing Avery's diaper I told her, "Avery you have a stinky butt, let's change you."  So I was the culprit who placed those words in Emily's head.  She also calls her sister"booger butt" which I don't ever use.  Some of Emily's other phrases include: awesome, oh my gosh, oh my goodness, I told you, and cool.  We find it hilarious and we never know what she is going to say next.

Not only is she listening intently to what people say but she is also watching what people do and mimicking it later at home.  Recently she has been obsessed with putting Avery night-night.  She bosses her younger sister to lay on the floor, places a blanket over her and then proceeds to pat her back.  Emily learned this behavior at school during nap time helping her teacher put the younger students to sleep.  At night her baby dolls get the same treatment before she goes to bed.  As most schooled children do, Emily picks up many quirks and sayings from her school peers.  I recently heard her mention that her belly hurt but after examining her I could never find any problem.  This is one of those quirks she has picked up just like her pacifier usage, which I have not been able to break her habit.

These past couple of months Emily has been really into Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp and just recently she discovered Jungle Book.  Emily has an excellent memory and she likes to sing some of the songs she remembers from these movies.

Potty training is going great.  I have realized that I can get Emily to sit and go on the potty as soon as she wakes up in the morning or from her nap.  Aside from those times she really doesn't want to sit on the potty.  She has been going every day at school but mostly only after nap time, but I am pleased she has some sort of routine established.


Love from Avery

0 comments:

Post a Comment